"Accountability is the password to your future!" – Ben Stewart
Where there is no counsel, the people fall;
But in the multitude of counselors there is safety.
Every great athlete has a coach … as should every great life!
- It’s Transformational … examine your life from a different perspective
- It’s a Transparent Relationship … creating an authentic, encouraging relationship that fosters trust and safety
- It’s a Supportive System of Change … providing structure and accountability that results in maximum progress
- It’s Continuous Personal Development … strategizing, setting challenging goals, and truning those goals into action
We all need relationship, perspective, encouragement, and accountability to reach our maximum potential. A coach can help you sort out what are the most important issues in your life, help you get “unstuck,” and provide a sounding board when you need an outside perspective.
Life is intended to be a “team sport,” and coaching is built on the power of relationship. Coaching is a partnership between two equals, one of whom has some specialized training and life experiences that can challenge the other to move toward their destiny.
We all have blind spots, and all too often our “friends” are reluctant to point them out to us. These blind spots could be the very things that are keeping us stuck where we are.
Finally, we all need support, encouragement, and accountability when we are making a significant change in our life or in the way we do things. A big part of what coaching provides is accountability—that extra nudge to follow through on what you know you need to do.
These are just a few of the things a good coach brings to the relationship.
What is your next step?
- Making a career change
- Taking your goals and turning them into action
- Finding balance in your work, family and personal life
- Finding your life’s purpose
- Finding out how your past and present are keys to your future
- Discovering the constraints that have been hindering your destiny
- Learning how to use feedback and reflection to upgrade your character
- Developing disciplines that will continue to bring you insight and wisdom
From: Lifeforming Leadership Coaching
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 6:36 PM
To: Randy Peck
Subject: Lifeforming Leadership Coaching Newsletter – May 2008
Lifeforming Leadership Coaching May 2008 Newsletter
ASSEMBLING THE WHOLE STORY
THE GREAT OMISSION
Matthew 28: 18-20
The following thoughts would better be served in a blog because they require the need for a “paradigm funeral” of old school thinking and a renewed mind of defining success the Jesus way. Here is a list of those thoughts to get some conversations going in your part of the world:
1. Jesus defines “success” as the bottom line of whether or not we are making disciples.
2. Discipleship is almost entirely relational in a combination of small group and one on one culture, outside of church meetings, and especially through the influence of healthy conversations from healthy families around the table.
3. Discipleship assumes we are “going into all of our world” (most of what we do outside of church meetings) to make #1 and #2 above happen. That makes “sending capacity” a better benchmark of success than “seating capacity”.
4. The end game of discipleship is for nations to be discipled (Rev. 21:24-27) so the “burning bush vision” for the church is to equip members to make disciples in the places that shape a nations; at work in the major spheres of vocations that shape the culture.
5. We have made discipleship more of a “teaching commission” at the expense of a “training omission” (v.20). Action steps that integrate and align our daily behaviors with kingdom values and Jesus commands is more hitting the mark than “fill-in-the-blank” lectures or sermon series. (Note: It only takes 45 minutes to read the teaching content of Jesus words given us in scripture.)
Recently Bill Hybels of Willow Creek authentically announced that his “seeker-friendly”congregation did not produce transformational change in the lives of its members; meaning they were not discipled. George Barna’s extensive research in the discipleship deficit in the American church brought him to the unfortunate position of an anti “organized church” position. I believe that Lifeforming can offer a way forward in this debate.
I am giving my life to the core value that Transformational Coaching is a key to making more and better disciples in our nations. Here is why:
1. It consistently targets the core factor of making a disciple; hearing God’s voice. Every religion makes disciples but a disciple of Jesus is led by Him personally (not just His principles) and has the “unfair advantage” of knowing that voice (John 10:3) in the unique design that we are created to respond to that voice (Psalm 139: 13-16).
2. It consistently maximizes the core delivery to make a disciple; a non-judgmental relationship with someone who seeks to 100% believe in you as the Father does, 100% work with you in what the Spirit is prioritizing, and 100% enable you to take ownership for your own development and progress.
3. It consistently models the authentic spiritual authority of stewarding transformation to another by first having been transformed ourselves in the same manner (2 Timothy 2:2). UNTIL SPIRITUAL FATHERS AND MOTHERS ARE DISCIPLED THEMSELVES TRANSFORMATIONALY THEY ARE DEPENDENT ON PROGRAMS AND METHODS THAT ARE INFORMATION TRANSACTIONS MORE THAN LIFE TRANSFER.
4. It consistently produces the kind of community that is compelling and engaging of the spiritual hunger in our cultures that are seeking life-giving spiritual relationships when they turn to Christ. Lifeforming’s Transformational coaches know how to catalyze authentic relationships in organizations that shift those cultures to environments that accelerate personal development in the context of the organization’s mission.
Lifeforming Leadership Coaching has a key role to play in restoring the Great Commission in Matthew 28. We are about the Father’s business of making disciples the Jesus way. This is not an option; it is a mandate.
Dr. Joseph Umidi
President, Lifeforming Leadership Coaching